MSE Degree: Thesis Guidelines
Beginning Your Thesis
To effectively plan and carry out your master’s degree thesis requirement, follow the steps below:
- Choose a faculty advisor in the Bioengineering Graduate Group.
- Choose a suitable thesis topic before the end of your first semester of graduate studies.
- Register for Thesis Research (BE 597) and at the same time complete and submit a brief written thesis proposal. Your thesis proposal will contain:
- a statement of objectives of the work
- the scope of the studies
- an outline of the proposed final document
- To submit the proposal, use the Master’s Thesis Proposal Form, which must be approved and signed by your Master’s Thesis advisor and the Bioengineering Graduate Group Chair.
When to Conduct Your Research
Usually students conduct their thesis research during the summer sessions, but you may also do so in the spring semester. Consult with your faculty thesis advisor about the timing of your research.
Submitting Your Final Master’s Thesis
You must prepare and submit your thesis following the University of Pennsylvania Master’s Thesis Style Guide. The written thesis must be approved by both your advisor and the bioengineering graduate group chair by placing their original written signatures on the thesis cover page. In addition:
- Two unbound hard copies of the approved thesis must be submitted to the bioengineering graduate program coordinator in 240 Skirkanich Hall. They will be bound (at the BE graduate group’s expense) for the advisor and the graduate group thesis library.
- Two unbound hard copies of the approved thesis must also be submitted to Tori Frew in the Office of Academic Programs in room 109 of the Towne Building.
Your BE Contact:
Graduate Student Groups: