A Department of the School of Engineering and Applied Science
MSE Degree: Thesis Guidelines
Beginning Your Thesis
To effectively plan and carry out your master’s degree thesis requirement, follow the steps below:
- Choose a faculty advisor in the Bioengineering Graduate Group.
- We encourage students to choose a suitable thesis topic before the end of their first semester of graduate studies.
- Usually students conduct their thesis research during the spring and summer semesters, but this is flexible. Consult with your faculty thesis advisor about the timing of your research.
- Register for Master’s Thesis Research (BE 5970) in the semester you choose to do your research and ask for permission in PATH@PENN.
- To obtain permission to register for BE 5970 it is required to complete and submit a brief written thesis proposal. Your thesis proposal will contain:
- a statement of objectives of the work
- the scope of the studies
- an outline of the proposed final document
- To submit the proposal, use the Master’s Thesis Proposal Form, which must be approved by your Master’s Thesis advisor and the Bioengineering Graduate Group Chair.
Submitting Your Final Master’s Thesis
You must prepare and submit your thesis following the University of Pennsylvania Master’s Thesis Style Guide. The written thesis must be approved by both your advisor and the bioengineering graduate group chair by placing their original written signatures on the thesis cover page.
Your thesis must be submitted electronically to Graduate Affairs. Directions will be sent via email after the graduation application closes for that period.
Your BE Contact:
BE Master’s Coordinator
240 Skirkanich Hall
Graduate Student Groups:
Graduate Association of Bioengineers
Graduate Student Engineering Group